EMV

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 15:49:09 EDT 2005

Florian Weimer wrote:

> * David Alexander Molnar:
>
>> Actually, smart cards are here today. My local movie theatre in Berkeley,
>> California is participating in a trial for "MasterCard PayPass." There is
>> a little antenna at the window; apparently you can just wave your card at
>> the antena to pay for tickets. I haven't observed anyone using it in
>> person, but the infrastructure is there right now.
>
> If you are interested in useful RFID applications, just visit
> Singapore. 8-) They use RFID tickets on the subway (MRT) and on
> busses, and you don't have to worry about buying the right ticket
> because the system charges you the correct amount.  However, there's
> one thing that makes me nervous: if you know the card number (which is
> printed on the cards), you can go to a web page, enter it, and obtain
> the last 20 rides during the last 3 days, without any further
> authentication.

London Underground have a contactless system too, but it isn't used much. As
I remember it had a similar problem, but they may have changed that.

You take out your wallet with the card in and wave it over a palm-sized
yellow blob on the turnstile, but you don't have to open your wallet to
withdraw a token.

Muggers and pickpockets keep a close eye out to see how fat your wallet is
and where you keep it ...

--
Peter Fairbrother