the limits of crypto and authentication

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Jul 10 00:29:55 EDT 2005

dan at geer.org writes:
> Nick Owen writes:
>  | I think that the cost of two-factor authentication will plummet in the
>  | face of the volumes offered by e-banking.
>
> Would you or anyone here care to analyze
> what I am presuming is the market failure
> of Amex Blue in the sense of its chipcard
> and reader combo?

The Blue Card, so far as I can tell, was poorly thought out beyond its
marketing potential. I knew some folks at Amex involved in the
development of the system, and I did not get the impression they had
much of a coherent idea of what the technologies would be used for
other than creating marketing buzz.

Perry