the limits of crypto and authentication

Nick Owen nowen at wikidsystems.com
Sun Jul 10 09:36:37 EDT 2005

I think the failure of Amex Blue is due to poor timing and the
requirement for hardware on the end-user's PC.  At the time of it's
introduction ecommerce and online banking were just getting started and
consumers were more worried about whether the store was real or not than
having their card stolen.  It wasn't until identity theft and the rush
of disclosures due to SB1386 et al here in the US that people cared
about security and privacy (in some way).

What I can't understand is why Visa and Amex haven't started to push
their one-time credit card software solutions again - this time as
protection for your privacy.  I would think people would be much more
receptive to it now.  Little has changed, except the market's perception
of the risk of using credit cards online. Amex actually pulled their
program in 2004, IIRC.

dan at geer.org wrote:
> Nick Owen writes:
>  | I think that the cost of two-factor authentication will plummet in the
>  | face of the volumes offered by e-banking.
>
> Would you or anyone here care to analyze
> what I am presuming is the market failure
> of Amex Blue in the sense of its chipcard
> and reader combo?
>
> --dan

Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.
404.962.8983 (desk)
404.542.9453 (cell)
http://www.wikidsystems.com
At last, two-factor authentication, without the hassle factor