Why Blockbuster looks at your ID.

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Jul 9 11:37:04 EDT 2005

In message <20050709123204.23173.qmail at xuxa.iecc.com>, John Levine writes:
>>Why does the clerk at Blockbuster want to see your driver's license?
>>Because his management has been told, by their bank, that if they do
>>not attempt to verify the identity of credit card users they will
>>risk their business relationship with the bank.
>
>It's been my impression that the way you're supposed to verify the ID
>of a credit card user is by checking the signature.  I've heard of
>banks telling businesses not to demand separate ID.  On the other
>hand, I can easily believe that Blockbuster came up with the ID idea
>all by themselves.

I very rarely rent from Blockbuster, so I may have the details wrong; I
can state for sure how things work at the local video store I usually
patronize.

When I signed up with them, I supplied a credit card number; they
retained that for contingency charges if I fail to return a video.
(Odd -- my local library doesn't do that.  But I digress.)  In return,
they handed me an account-linked credential -- exactly the sort of
thing that is often advocated on this list.

>From my perspective, the form factor of the credential wasn't ideal; it
was one of those key ring-sized cards, and I soon lost it, probably
during a wallet upgrade.  No problem -- they're happy to fall back to
the secondary authentication system, to whit my drivers' license.  I
show that to get access to the account, independent of how I actually
pay for the rental.  In other words, they are not using my license to
authenticate my credit card.  (I would add that the feeds are low
enought that I almost always pay in cash; I have no idea if they even
have the ability to use the stored credit card for rental fees if I
don't present the card separately.  Hmm -- the account is old enough
that the expiration date on my credit card has long since expired.
They've never asked me for an update.  Maybe they're using a reputation
system?)