Why Blockbuster looks at your ID.

Edgar Danielyan e.danielyan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:50:17 EDT 2005

May we see the back of that envelope? Upgrade to EMV (chip & PIN) here
in UK reportedly costs around 1.1 billion pounds (around $1.9
billion), and that is simply an upgrade to the existing infrastructure
and only in a single country. To fundamentally change the system would
require tens of billions and a concerted effort of banks, the
associations and the merchants, with all the associated hidden agendas
and underwater currents. It would be too big an undertaking with an
uncomfortable C/B ratio, whereas $788m in losses is not that bad
keeping in mind the amounts involved...