Menezes on HQMV

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Fri Jul 1 11:57:50 EDT 2005

There's an interesting paper up on eprint now:
http://eprint.iacr.org/2005/205

	Another look at HMQV
	Alfred Menezes

	HMQV is a `hashed variant' of the MQV key agreement protocol. It
	was recently introduced by Krawczyk, who claimed that HMQV has
	very significant advantages over MQV: (i) a security proof under
	reasonable assumptions in the (extended) Canetti-Krawczyk model
	for key exchange; and (ii) superior performance in some
	situations.

	In this paper we demonstrate that HMQV is insecure by presenting
	realistic attacks in the Canetti-Krawczyk model that recover a
	victim's static private key. We propose HMQV-1, a patched
	version of HMQV that resists our attacks (but does not have any
	performance advantages over MQV). We also identify the fallacies
	in the security proof for HMQV, critique the security model, and
	raise some questions about the assurances that proofs in this
	model can provide.

Obviously, this is of inherent interest, but it also plays a part
in the ongoing debate about the importance of proof as a technique
for evaluating cryptographic protocols.

-Ekr