Is 3DES Broken?

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 01:04:40 EST 2005

Hi Folks,

I hate to bother you with what I consider a dumb question, but I'm
trying to give a person the benefit of my doubts. There's a person on a
legal forum that I participate in that claims that 3DES has been
broken/cracked. However, he has not provided any documentation to the
effect as his "time at present is limited and valuable". He claims that
"the specifics were already posted on this and several other similar
forums". Other than Ross Anderson and his students extracting a 3DES
key from an IBM4758, has 3DES been in fact broken?

Thank you,
Aram Perez

[Moderator's note: The quick answer is no. The person who claims
 otherwise is seriously misinformed. I'm sure others will chime
 in. --Perry]