Simson Garfinkel analyses Skype - Open Society Institute

Ian G iang at systemics.com
Thu Jan 27 06:02:56 EST 2005

Joseph Ashwood wrote:

[Good analysis!  Snipped...]

> Working against them. The biggest thing working against them is that a
> growing number of teenagers are using Skype (a significant portion of
> Gunderson High School in San Jose, Ca actually uses Skype during
> class, and has been busted by me for it). This poses a substantial
> risk for common hacking to occur. This is something that I am unclear
> on whether or not Skype has prepared. As the general populus begins to
> use Skype more the security question becomes of greater importance
> (reference the attacks on Windows that go on every day).

I would say that the threat of a bunch of teenagers
cracking Skype would not be read as a much of a threat
in my book.  What are they going to do, listen to each
other's teenagerish calls?  If they break it, well and good,
as it's one community you can expect to share the break
quickly, which will give Skype the requisite kick up the
backside.

iang

--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
        http://financialcryptography.com/