entropy depletion

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 05:23:17 EST 2005

William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Ben Laurie wrote:

>>> Because we are starting from the postulate that observation of the
>>> output could (however remotely) give away information about the
>>> underlying state of the entropy generator(s).
>>

>> Surely observation of /dev/urandom's output also gives away information?
>>
> ummm, no, not by definition.
>
> /dev/random
>  blocks on insufficient estimate of stored entropy
>  useful for indirect measurement of system characteristics
>  (assumes no PRNG)
>
> /dev/urandom
>  blocks only when insufficient entropy for initialization of state
>  computationally infeasible to determine underlying state
>  (assumes robust PRNG)
>
> These are the definitions we've been using around here for many years.
> It does help when everybody is talking about the same things.

Around where? I've never heard of a /dev/random that doesn't include a
PRNG. But I'll admit its entirely possible I just haven't been paying
attention. Can you give examples?

In any case, if the postulate is that observing the output could give
away information about the underlying state, then I cannot see how
/dev/urandom gets around this problem.

Cheers,

Ben.