Safecracking for the computer scientist

Matt Blaze mab at crypto.com
Sun Jan 9 21:39:48 EST 2005

I've been thinking for a while about the relationship between the
"human-scale" security systems used to protect the physical world
the cryptologic and software systems that protect the electronic
world.  I'm increasingly convinced that these areas have far more
in common that we might initially think, and that each can be
strengthened by applying lessons from the other.

I've started writing down much of what I've learned about a
particularly interesting area of "high-end" human-scale security --
safes and vaults.  A draft survey of safe security from a CS
viewpoint, "Safecracking for the computer scientist," is at:
     http://www.crypto.com/papers/safelocks.pdf

This is a big file -- about 2.5MB -- and is heavily illustrated.

This is the same paper that was slashdotted last weekend, but I
figured some here may not have seen it and may enjoy it.

-matt