FW: ATM machine security

Chris Trott chris.trott at plett.com.au
Wed Feb 23 10:24:38 EST 2005

> Hi,
> I'm working on a project that requires a benchmark against which to judge
> various suppliers. The closest that has similar requirements is the ATM
> industry. To this end I'm looking for any papers, specifications or
> published attacks against ATM machines and their infrastructure. I'm also
> looking for what type of networks they use and the crypto they use to
> protect comms. Also any standards would be good that the ATM industry has
> to adhere to.

My Apologies to the original poster here, but does this seem like a little
human engineering to anyone else?

I mean sounds to me like your project is a search for weakness in the ATM
system in preparation for an attack, or have I misjudged and you are the
well meaning integrating party who have commissioned a number of 'suppliers'
build a new ATM system (or ATM like system) while methodically attempting to
avoid past errors.

If you are accepting bids from suppliers who already produce ATMs ie NEC or
the like, how would your request help ? would you be expecting them to
subvert the existing standards to prevent attacks ?

Interestingly,  I think the comment was tossed around here a few weeks ago,
that building a new 'atm system' wouldn't be possible these days, given the
competing standards, differing levels of what would be considered secure
etc.

Just curious, or was it paranoid, - who said that ?