SHA1 broken?

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Fri Feb 18 06:11:30 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Howe" <DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:49 AM
Subject: Re: SHA1 broken?

> Joseph Ashwood wrote:
>  > I believe you are incorrect in this statement. It is a matter of public
>> record that RSA Security's DES Challenge II was broken in 72 hours by
>> $250,000 worth of semi-custom machine, for the sake of solidity let's
>> assume they used 2^55 work to break it. Now moving to a completely custom
>> design, bumping up the cost to $500,000, and moving forward 7 years,
>> delivers ~2^70 work in 72 hours (give or take a couple orders of
>> magnitude). This puts the 2^69 work well within the realm of realizable
>> breaks, assuming your attackers are smallish businesses, and if your
>> attackers are large businesses with substantial resources the break can
>> be assumed in minutes if not seconds.
>>
>> 2^69 is completely breakable.
>>                Joe
>   Its fine assuming that moore's law will hold forever, but without that
> you can't really extrapolate a future tech curve. with *todays*
> technology, you would have to spend an appreciable fraction of the
> national budget to get a one-per-year "break", not that anything that has
> been hashed with sha-1 can be considered breakable (but that would allow
> you to (for example) forge a digital signature given an example)
>   This of course assumes that the "break" doesn't match the criteria from
> the previous breaks by the same team - ie, that you *can* create a
> collision, but you have little or no control over the plaintext for the
> colliding elements - there is no way to know as the paper hasn't been
> published yet.

I believe you substantially misunderstood my statements, 2^69 work is doable
_now_. 2^55 work was performed in 72 hours in 1998, scaling forward the 7
years to the present (and hence through known data) leads to a situation
where the 2^69 work is achievable today in a reasonable timeframe (3 days),
assuming reasonable quantities of available money ($500,000US). There is no
guessing about what the future holds for this, the 2^69 work is NOW.