SHA-1 cracked

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 17 10:20:07 EST 2005

Anyone know where we could find the paper?  It'd be kind-of convenient when trying to assess the impact of the attack if we knew at least a few details....

If it's really the case that the attack requires colliding messages of different sizes (that's what this comment implies), then maybe the attack won't be applicable in the real world, but it's hard to be sure of that.  Suppose I can find collisions of the form (X,X*) where X is three blocks long, and X* is four blocks long.  Now, that won't work as a full collision,  because the length padding at the end will change for X and X*.  But I can find two such collisions, and still get a working attack by concatenating them.

>iang

--John Kelsey