SHA-1 cracked

Alexandre Dulaunoy adulau at foo.be
Wed Feb 16 09:14:02 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> According to Bruce Schneier's blog
> (http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html), a
> team has found collisions in full SHA-1.  It's probably not a practical
> threat today, since it takes 2^69 operations to do it and we haven't
> heard claims that NSA et al. have built massively parallel hash
> function collision finders, but it's an impressive achievement
> nevertheless -- especially since it comes just a week after NIST stated
> that there were no successful attacks on SHA-1.

and what  about HMAC-SHA1 ? Is  it reducing the  operation required by
the same factor  or as the structure of HMAC is  so different that the
attack is very unlikely to be practical ?

--
-- 	  	     Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/
-- 	   http://pgp.ael.be:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x44E6CBCD