That's gratitude for ya...

Rich Salz rsalz at datapower.com
Mon Feb 14 13:43:43 EST 2005

The other day I sent Amir Herzberg a private note saying I thought his
new tool was pretty neat, and though I'm sure he's heard it a lot,
thanks.  He said nope, nobody else has said it, and I was stunned.

As we all know, but apparently don't fully appreciate, the social
aspects of security don't fall into a binary good/bad evaluation.  This
isn't a new key exchange protocol, where it can be objectively
evaluated, ending up with a good/bad decision.  It's an open source idea
implemented by competent people, designed to address a real, and
growing, concern on the web.

Instead of saying "neat, thanks" or "have you thought about this?" The
list is filled with lots of carping about trust, wanna-be pundits
referencing Thompson's ACM paper, etc.  Sheesh!  Why would anyone bother?

Here's a real-world clue:  the folks who might really be helped by this,
who might be saved from having their bank account raided, are *already*
trusting click-to-install software.  If some of them click and just
trust this, their surfing might be a bit more secure, and their lives
just a bit better.

Why would mozilla embed this?  If they came here, to the putative
experts, for an evaluation, they'd leave thinking Amir and company just
invented Rot-13.  It's not that.  It's also not perfect.  BFD -- you got
anything better?

	/r$

PS:  A concrete suggestion for improvement:  when showing the user the
CA that certified the target site, include a two-line corporate summary
and a link to their home page.
--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com