A small editorial about recent events.

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Fri Dec 23 14:23:49 EST 2005

dan at geer.org writes:

> You know, as a security person, I say all the time that the greatest
> threat is internal threat, not external threat.  In my day job, I/we
> make surveillance tools to prevent data threat from materializing, and
> to quench it if it does anyhow.  I tell clients all day every day that
> when the opponent can attack location independently, and likely
> without self identification, your only choice is pre-emption, which
> requires intell, which requires surveillance, which requires listening
> posts.

Are you saying we need to carefully surveil our government and pre-empt
it from attacking us, or that our government should carefully surveil us
and pre-empt us from attacking it?

> And I'm just talking about intellectual property in the Fortune 1000,
> not the freaking country.

Let's hope society as a whole never resembles life inside the Fortune
1000 too closely.

--
https://www.eff.org/about/staff/#chris_palmer