browser vendors and CAs agreeing on high-assurance certificates

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at rek.tjls.com
Thu Dec 22 02:02:43 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:47:27AM -0800, James A. Donald wrote:

> Has anyone been attacked through a certificate that
> would not have been issued under stricter security?  The
> article does not mention any such attacks, nor have I
> ever heard of such an attack.

Ought we forget that two such certificates were issued to a party
(identity, AFAIK, still unknown) claiming to be Microsoft?  What,
exactly, do you think that party's plans for those certificates
were -- and why, exactly, do you think they were inocuous?

  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls at rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart