Crypto and UI issues

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 21:26:56 EST 2005

James A. Donald wrote:
>     --
> From:           	Ben Laurie <ben at algroup.co.uk>
>
>>if the key changes in OpenSSH you can't connect until
>>you take positive action by deleting the old key from
>>the known_hosts file. This is totally different to
>>accepting a new key.
>>
>>I will agree that something better than just showing
>>you the key would be cool. Like maybe it could be
>>signed by something so you can verify it that way. Oh,
>>wait. That's PKI, and we all know PKI is broken.
>

> But in what it is it broken?

I was being sarcastic. I don't believe PKI is inherently broken, unlike
some. It does have limited uses, though.

> Let us imagine that SSH had certified keys.  Well,
> certifying a key is bound to be complicated, and things
> are bound to go wrong, and the name that you bind it to
> is bound to be somewhat shifty.

I don't see why that would happen all that much, and if it did then just
certify with multiple hostnames.

>  You might bind the key
> to ben.com, but then your host is ssh.ben.com.  So
> pretty soon users are frequently seeing error dialogs -
> and so, pretty soon, are always clicking through them.

Don't really buy this for what is, mostly, a protocol used by experts.

> What is a true name is a deep and difficult question,
> and one that people have little patience for when trying
> to log in.  We are overloaded with names, with the
> result that true names are of limited value in
> ascertaining true relationships.

True names of hosts is not a deep problem. Indeed, it is even possible
to discover rigorously (if painfully in extereme cases).

Cheers,

Ben.