X.509 / PKI, PGP, and IBE Secure Email Technologies

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Dec 12 10:43:21 EST 2005

    --
From:           	Ed Gerck <edgerck at nma.com>
> Digital certs (X.509 and PGP) are useful when the key
> owner is not online. There is a world when this not
> only happens but is also useful. BTW, this is
> recognized in IBE as well.

But the key owner is always online, for in practice,
certs are always used for https.

Arguably we should be using not-necessarily-online certs
to sign email, but the email that arguably needs
signing, for example emails from amazon.com, are never
signed.

The only reason this email is signed is to make a point
about technology, not because the signature serves any
useful purpose.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     ca4N69sv32Q/plWYe5BnvcydTDFaMVJkZ0rPbVp6
     4CRaaWK8UP3bCPHDbDzuPW7zEKImu5L9x7RUMIrbG