X.509 / PKI, PGP, and IBE Secure Email Technologies

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 11 13:19:21 EST 2005

    --
From:           	Ed Gerck <edgerck at nma.com>
> As new capabilities conflict with the old, the end
> result of this approach seems to ne a lot of patched
> in complexity and vulnerabilities.
>
> It seems better to start with a performance
> specification for the full system. The code can follow
> the specs as close as possible for each version, the
> specs can change too, but at least the grand picture
> should exist beforehand.

Usability is the key part of perfomance.

Amazon is sending out unsigned emails.  Seems to me this
is in part because they find it hard to sign anything,
in part because if they did sign something I doubt it
would do the end user much good, since the end user is
already suffering from name overload, and is unlikely to
appreciate the difference between a signature belonging
to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, and amazon.jim.com

We really need to start from the user, and look for ways
in which the user's mental model of security can be used
to defeat realistic threats.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     b5RoNWK+PD+pn6rk1lBkzIqv8T4ntwUO6CxDoPtA
     48yzird9uDuNNK+xU0XcZisSug3K2XHzHu0MXgwqB