[Clips] MIT Real ID Conference a Success: Participate in New Virtual Civic Conversation

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sat Dec 10 17:49:47 EST 2005

--- begin forwarded text

 Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:48:40 -0500
 To: "Philodox Clips List" <clips at philodox.com>
 From: "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com>
 Subject: [Clips] MIT Real ID Conference a Success: Participate in New Virtual
  Civic Conversation
 Sender: clips-bounces at philodox.com

 --- begin forwarded text

  Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:01:20 -0800 (PST)
  From: "Daniel J. Greenwood" <dang at media.mit.edu>
 Civic Conversation
  To: dang at media.mit.edu

  This note is to inform you that the MIT Public Forum
  on the Real ID Act of 2005 was held on Monday,
  December 5th and we will be streaming video of the
  entire day from the MIT Media Lab web site within the
  next few days.  To those of you who participated,
  thank you for making this event a true success.

  We plan a series of activities for the future,
  including publication of proceedings, further activity
  on the MIT Real ID Public Forum Blog, additional
  events and of course continued work with the
  Department of Homeland Security and other federal and
  state governmental agencies to provide a neutral forum
  within which to meet, hear from the public and
  interest groups and to consider opportunities for
  cross boundary cooperation.

  We intend to use publication of the final report of
  the proceedings of the day to highlight the many
  valuable perspectives and ideas that came forward
  throughout the event.  Again, we encourage each of you
  to share any thoughts you may have regarding this
  important new federal statute.  After the Department
  of Homeland Security published their draft regulations
  under the law, we anticipate another round of activity
  to support discussion and meaningful response.

  Finally, the MIT E-Commerce Architecture Program,
  hosted at the MIT Media Lab Smart Cities group, is now
  working with partners to make available a new more
  efficient mode of public dialog on important affairs
  of the day.  Currently called “Virtual Civic
  Conversations”, this simple approach uses existing
  blog technology (including RSS feeds and track-back
  features), to set up shared meta-search terms for
  specific issues, allowing participants to post a topic
  on their blog and for it to appear as a new post on a
  large-scale multi-party communications blog.  In this
  way, the many interest groups, governmental agencies,
  individuals and others who are all speaking to the
  same topic (next steps on the Real ID Act, in this
  case), can use a blog (such as the MIT Real ID Public
  Forum Blog) to compile all posts on all blogs related
  to that topic.  In addition, it is possible for
  participants to respond to the posts across threads,
  blogs and topics, thereby creating a bounded but very
  open knowledge zone on that issue.  We are setting up
  a Virtual Civic Conversation for the Real ID Act this
  weekend and early next week.  Stay tuned for more
  information on exactly how to participate and to
  encourage others with relevant blogs to participate.

  MIT is pleased to use new technology and our capacity
  to convene to serve the civic interest.  Thank you for
  your interest.

  Regards,
   - Dan Greenwood

  Daniel J. Greenwood, Esq.
  Lecturer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  The Media Lab, Program of Media Arts and Science
  Principal, CIVICS.com  The InfoSociety Consultancy
  http://ecitizen.mit.edu & http://civics.com
  1770 Mass. Ave, #205, Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
  M: 857-498-0962
  E: dang at media.mit.edu

 --- end forwarded text

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA