Fermat's primality test vs. Miller-Rabin

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Mon Dec 5 04:06:21 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sidney Markowitz" <sidney at sidney.com>
Subject: Re: Fermat's primality test vs. Miller-Rabin

> Joseph Ashwood wrote:
>> Granted this is only a test of the
>> generation of 128 numbers, but I got 128 primes (based on 128 MR rounds).
>
> That doesn't make sense, unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.
> Primes
> aren't that common, are they?

Apparently, they are, I'm ran a sample, but even with the added second
sanity check, every one of them that passes a single round comes up prime.

I then proceeded to move it to 2048-bit numbers. It takes longer and the
gaps between primes is averaging around 700 right now, but once again if it
passes a single test it passes all 128+128. This sample is currently
statistically completely insignificant, but even after the currently 8 tries
I'd expect something different.
                    Joe