Proving the randomness of a random number generator?

Lee Parkes leep at bogus.net
Fri Dec 2 05:54:03 EST 2005

Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before.

The company I work for has been asked to prove the randomness of a random
number generator. I assume they mean an PRNG, but knowing my employer it
could be anything.. I've turned the work down on the basis of having another
gig that week. However, it raised the issue of just how this could be
achieved. As far as I'm aware there are no strong mathematicians in the team, so
it will get thrown out to the first available person (cool idea, eh?). There
will most likely be very little time allocated to do it.

So, the question is, how can the randomness of a PRNG be proved within
reasonable limits of time, processing availability and skill?

Thanks,
	Lee

leep at bogus.net DOC #25 GLASS #136 www.mud-dog.org
I Need A Reason To Stand Up And Fight
Need To Believe What I See - The Silver Drop - Mnemic