Another entry in the internet security hall of shame....

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Fri Aug 26 20:24:24 EDT 2005

Ian G wrote:

> Using SSL is the wrong tool
> for the job.  It's a chat message - it should be
> encrypted end to end, using either OpenPGP or
> something like OTR.  And even then, you've only
> covered about 10% of the threat model - the
> server.
>
> But, if people do use the wrong tool for the
> job, they will strike these issues...

Wasn't this the reason that Silc (http://www.silcnet.org) was born?
Because the attempts to add security as an overlay onto existing IM was
the wrong way to approach the problem?

Personally I use Silc for my secure conversations; I wouldn't feel much
safer at all if my connection to the Microsoft server was the only part
of my message encrypted.

Aaron