Another entry in the internet security hall of shame....

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Wed Aug 24 13:07:31 EDT 2005

Quoting Ian G <iang at systemics.com>:

> Once you've configured iChat to connect to the Google Talk service, you may
> receive a warning message that states your username and password will be
> transferred insecurely. This error message is incorrect; your username and
> password will be safely transferred.
> -=-=-
>
> hmmmmmm

Also noted in Psi.  Google's instructions for Psi say to leave "Use SSL
encryption" and "Allow Plaintext Login" unchecked, but both need to be checked
for me to successfully login.  I'm guessing Google is counting on the SSL
tunnel to protect the plaintext logins.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT