Another entry in the internet security hall of shame....

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 23 21:42:02 EDT 2005

Guys,

Recently, Earthlink's webmail server certificate started showing up as expired.  (It obviously expired a long time ago; I suspect someone must have screwed up in changing keys over or something, because the problem wasn't happening up until recently.)  So, I contacted Earthlink's technical support, and I got this really encouraging reply....

/////
Dear John Kelsey,

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand that you are having problems viewing Webmail and that it send out an
error on SSL certificate.

I suggest that you try lowering the security settings of your Internet Explorer.
Please follow the steps below on how to lower the security settings on your Internet
Explorer.

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Task panel click on Internet Options.
3. Click on the Advance Tab.
4. Scroll down and uncheck [Warn about invalid site certificates].
5. Remember to click on Apply.
6. Click on OK.

You have successfully lower your Internet Explorer settings.

Should you have any other concerns, please get back to us. You will receive a prompt
reply.

Sincerely,

Therese B. 3613
EarthLink Electronic Customer Support
EarthLink, Inc.
Case ID 69080634

Looking for easy access to news, stocks, sports, and your favorite links?
With the EarthLink Personal Start Page you can customize everything from
the background colors to your local weather. For more information please
visit http://start.earthlink.net

Resolve your customer service questions on-line at our Account maintenance
web site. To add email mailboxes, change passwords, or update your credit
card information, go to:
http://myaccount.earthlink.net

You can also trade real-time messages with one of our friendly Live Chat
representatives:
http://support.earthlink.net/chat

Or email us and get a response that day:
http://support.earthlink.net/email

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

*	Presented Article: 142454
*	Name: John Kelsey
*	Email: kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
*	Account Type: EarthLink Experience
*	Issue: Spam/Internet Fraud Problem
*	Detailed Issue: Report an Issue
*	Article Title: Protecting Yourself Against Email/Internet Fraud
*	Message Body: The SSL certificate for webmail.earthlink.net is
expired. The webmail.atl.earthlink.net certificate is fine, it's just
the webmail.earthlink.net certificate.