herding attack paper submitted to ePrint archive

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 22 16:43:29 EDT 2005

Guys,

Yoshi and I have submitted a draft of the Herding Hash Functions
paper up on the IACR ePrint server, and assuming there are
no problems, it should be up reasonably soon.  The core of
the result is that when I can find lots of collisions for a
hash function by brute force (or maybe analytically, though
that gets more complicated), I can also break most systems
that use a hash function to prove prior knowledge.  I gave a
rump session talk on this a few days ago at Crypto.

--John Kelsey, NIST, August 2005