faster SHA-1 attacks?

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 17 08:37:37 EDT 2005

In message <87d5ocsqic.fsf at snark.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:

>I was unable to watch webcast of the rump session at the Crypto
>conference last night, but I have heard that a proxy announced that
>Wang has an order 2^63 attack on SHA-1. Can anyone confirm that, and
>give details?

Shamir gave her rump session talk (and first gave a humorous
presentation on why she couldn't get a visa -- she admitted to
attacking U.S. government systems, and used collisions).  She is indeed
claiming a 2^63 attack, and found a new path to use in the attack.
Because of the new path, there is reason to think the attack will get
even better.  Shamir noted that 2^63 is within reach of a distributed
Internet effort to actually find one.