Motorist wins case after maths whizzes break speed camera code

Aram Perez aramperez at mac.com
Thu Aug 11 16:07:47 EDT 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 02:29:38PM -0400, brucee at chunder.com wrote:
>
>> The facts are very scrambled but I like it.
>> The brief TV reports from lawyers were more factual.
>>
>> Motorist wins case after maths whizzes break speed camera code
>
> http://www.faqs.org/qa/rfcc-1420.html
>
> Possibly related:
>
> http://www.redflex.com.au/traffic/pdfs/RedflexSpeed2V2.pdf

 From the brochure: "Security/Encryption: all enforcement information
is public key authenticated using MD5 encryption to ensure
information is authentic and tamper free". So, of course, it must be
very secure, no marketing enhancements here.

On the other hand, it seems that the prosecutor didn't use/hire the
proper expert witness. Putting aside the inaccuracies of the article
I'm trying to interpret correctly what the article stated. The record
being protected by MD5 consists of the  "time, date, place,
numberplate and speed". Assuming that only the speed was in question,
then it should be possible to calculate all the MD5's for all
possible speed values and see if you get a collision (actually, just
the speed values above the speed limit).

Just my 2 centavos,
Aram Perez