[Clips] Escaping Password Purgatory

Anne & Lynn Wheeler lynn at garlic.com
Fri Aug 5 16:24:59 EDT 2005

Jerrold Leichter wrote:
 > Hmm.  I came up with the same idea a while back - though with a
different
> constraint:  I think it's reasonable to trade off the one-wayness of the
> hash for the ability to work out the password with pencil and paper when
> necessary.  Various classic pencil-and-paper encryption systems can be bent
> to this purpose.  Since the volume of data "encrypted" is very small and it's
> hard for an attacker to get his hands on more than tiny samples - a given
> web site only sees its own password - you don't need much strength to give a
> reasonable degree of protection.

note that rfc2289 is one time password
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcidx7.htm#2289

... takes passphrase, a site supplied salt, and iterative hashing.
supposedly this was to allow transmission in the clear and resistance to
man-in-the-middle attacks. the idea was also that the person only had to
remember a single passphrase

however, the following discusses a man-in-the-middle exploit ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003m.html#50 public key vs passwd
authentication?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003n.html#0 public key vs passwd
authentication?