Query about hash function capability

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Thu Aug 4 16:22:54 EDT 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Arash Partow wrote:
> ie: input1 : abcdefg -> h(abcdefg) = 123
>    input2 : gabcdef -> h(gabcdef) = 123
>    input3 : fgabcde -> h(fgabcde) = 123

I don't have a formal reference for you, but this seems intuitively correct to
me: put the strings in a canonical form so that all equivalent strings reduce
to the same string, then hash conventionally.  Eg., for rotation, the
canonical form of a string is the rotation which gives the smallest value when
the string is considered a binary number.  In other words, alphabetize all the
rotations and then take the first one.

 					-J