Query about hash function capability

Arash Partow arash at partow.net
Wed Aug 3 22:55:51 EDT 2005

Hi all,

My question relates to hash functions in general and not specifically
cryptographic hashes. I was wondering if there exists a group of hash
function(s) that will return an identical result for sequentially
similar yet rotate/shift wise dissimilar input:

ie: input1 : abcdefg -> h(abcdefg) = 123
     input2 : gabcdef -> h(gabcdef) = 123
     input3 : fgabcde -> h(fgabcde) = 123

Here a,b,c,d,e,f,g represent symbols (ie: groups of bits with equivalent
group sizes etc...)

I know that one simple hash method would be to add the symbols
together, but the results would also be equivalent if say the symbols
were in any order, also collisions would occur with other totally
dissimilar sequences that happen to have the same sum as the sequence.

Is there anything out there research/papers etc, or is this a meaningless
avenue of enquiry?

any help would be very much appreciated.

Arash Partow