Last WWII Comanche "code talker" dies in Oklahoma

Udhay Shankar N udhay at pobox.com
Mon Aug 1 01:40:21 EDT 2005

[resending this, after it didn't reach the list first time. I seem to have
fallen off the list, and am back on now. I hope this isn't a repeat. /udhay]

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050721170009990017

Last WWII Comanche "code talker" dies in Oklahoma
By Ben Fenwick, Reuters

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (Reuters) - The last surviving Comanche "code
talker" from World War Two, Charles Chibitty, has died at a nursing home in
Tulsa, Oklahoma, a tribal spokeswoman said Thursday.

Chibitty, who died Wednesday at age 83, was one of the 14 Comanche
tribesmen who transmitted radio messages in their native language during
the D-Day invasion of Normandy in 1944.

In a 2002 speech Chibitty said: "I wonder what the hell Hitler thought when
he heard those strange voices over there, when we hit D-Day at Utah Beach.
Now old Hitler, he's probably scratching his head yet down in his grave."

He said they called Nazi dictator Adolph Hitler "posah tai vo" which means
"crazy white man."

The Germans could not understand them, thus the Comanches were called "code
talkers."

<snip>