Customs and Excise Electronic Returns

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Wed Sep 29 19:03:13 EDT 2004

Ben Laurie wrote:
> So, after all that, I totally understand why everyone thinks PKI is
> hard. I'm all for the username/password thing. Its free, too.

PKI, and the Customs & Excise's, mistake was to assume that a
key is only useful if it is signed by someone else.  From a
system point of view, this will require massive benefits to
make it work.  As there are few massive benefits if any over
a username / password combo, then that's what they'll use.

It might be worth pointing out to them that the US' Government
Accounting Office is downbeat on the use of PKI.

iang