Linux-based wireless mesh suite adds crypto engine support

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 30 01:05:15 EDT 2004

Bill Stewart <bill.stewart at pobox.com> writes:

>In the past, there have been two main problems with the Via crypto sets
>
>- availability of convenient software

VIA AES support is included in Brian Gladman's AES implementation, which is
pretty much the de facto standard AES implementation.  The RNG code is pretty
easy to do, I did an implementation that worked out of the box without ever
having access to the hardware.

>- sufficient documentation and really transparent provable details so that
>users could trust and verify that the hardware and software were doing what
>they claimed to be doing and weren't doing anything evil that they didn't
>admit to, such as including backdoors or bad random number generators.

Tinfoil hat stuff - why trust any crypto hardware then?.  The only thing they
could fiddle is the RNG, and I just can't see them risking their reputation
over something as silly as this.  Besides, they're also going for government
markets, so I would imagine third parties have gone over the design in much
more detail than in any published analysis.

Peter.