Illustrated DES Spreadsheet

james hughes hughejp at mac.com
Tue Sep 28 13:29:29 EDT 2004

For anyone wondering, or teaching about DES, or interested in perverse
uses for spreadsheets, I have created an "Illustrated DES spreadsheet".
This is a vanilla spreadsheet (no VB or anything exotic) and should
work on many excel and excel workalikes.
	http://www.stortek.com/hughes/illustratedDES.xls

Acknowledgements for this work goes to J. Orlin Grabbe for his The DES
Algorithm Illustrated which can be found at
	http://www.aci.net/kalliste/des.htm

I have also stole many tricks including how to do XOR in generic excel
which I can not find again to give proper credit. I haven't run this
through the FIPS 140-2 level 1 test suite (but this could easily be
certified :-)

Anyone interested in making one for MD-5?

Enjoy

jim