Time for new hash standard

Anton Stiglic astiglic at okiok.com
Wed Sep 22 21:30:16 EDT 2004

I believe hash127 acts like an almost universal family of hash functions,
thus the word hash in it makes sense even though it is a MAC (but I might
not be recalling properly).

About MACs being easier to build, I agree it seems to be easier because of
the secret key involved.

If you don't like SHA1, I would suggest SHA-225/256/384/512, or something
based on a different design philosophy such as Tiger.  Another interesting
alternative is hash functions based on a block cipher such as AES.

--Anton