public-key: the wrong model for email?

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 09:54:42 EDT 2004

Ed Gerck wrote:

> Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>
>  > the issue then is what level do you trust the recipient, what is the
>
>> threat model, and what are the countermeasures.
>>
>> if there is a general trust issue with the recipient (not just their
>> key generating capability) ... then a classified document compromise
>> could happen after it has been transmitted. you may have to do a
>> complete audit & background check of the recipient before any
>> distribution of classified document.
>

> If the recipient cannot in good faith detect a key-access ware, or a
> GAK-ware, or a Trojan, or a bug, why would a complete background
> check of the recipient help?

Let's assume for a moment that a solution exists that satisfies your
requirements. Since the recipient _must_ be able to read the document in
the end, and is assumed to be incapable of securing their software, then
the document is still available to third parties without the consent of
the sender, is it not?

It seems to me that fixing the PK "problem" would in no way improve the
senders situation given that threat model.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
ApacheCon! 13-17 November! http://www.apachecon.com/