pci hardware for secure crypto storage (OpenSSL/OpenBSD)

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Wed Sep 15 15:49:12 EDT 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>I'm looking for (cheap, PCI/USB) hardware to store secrets (private key) and
>support crypto primitives (signing, cert generation). It doesn't have to be
>fast, but to support loading/copying of secrets in physically secure environments, and
>not generate nonextractable secret onboard. Environment is
>OpenBSD/Linux/OpenSSL/gpg.
>
>Any suggestions?

If I may put words in your mouth, you would require a server-side public
key cryptography apparatus where the long-term private key value would
be subject to utmost protection available, and the signature capability
is nonetheless available to some "functional area" software on an
general-purpose processor with less stringen protections. Hint: the
software application where a security certificate is authorized is the
Èfunctional areaÈ software. Presumably, some key management scheme must
be provided so that once a "functional area" becomes suspicious, its
usage of the private key can be rovoked through a key renewal, and the
private key is not at stake.

The disclosure of such system is at
http://www.connotech.com/WIRCPATA.HTM. Be reassured that this was a
preventive publication, so this design is in the public domain (and is,
or should have been, prior art to US patent 6,671,804).

Such server-side cryptographic hardware is currently under development.
It should take the form of a 1U operational secure device and a separate
key management console, the latter ensuring that no significant secret
is ever stored on a personal computer. The application is not, however,
certificate signing, as your post implies. I doubt that you will find
products that fits your need as I expressed them. Perhaps with lower
security, notably requiring that you trust the API design and
implementation between the cryptographic hardware and the functional area.

Regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.