references on traffic analysis?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Wed Sep 8 16:21:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 11:12:03PM -0400, Steve Bellovin wrote:
| What are some of the classic, must-read, references on traffic analysis?
| (I'm familiar with the Zendian problem, of course.)

A. Back, U. Muller, and A. Stiglic, Traffic Analysis Attacks and
Trade-Offs in Anonymity Providing Systems, Proceedings of the 4th
Information Hiding Workshop (IHW2001), Springer-Verlag, LNCS v. 2137,
pp. 243-254. http://crypto.cs.mcgill.ca/~stiglic/Papers/traffic.pdf

There have been some good papers in the PET Workshop series, if you
care about analysis of MIX type networks.  http://petworkshop.org/

Adam