"Approximate" hashes

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Wed Sep 1 13:11:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Marcel Popescu wrote:

> My problem is that I don't know what happens with the email in transit
> some mail server might dislike ASCII characters with the high bit set, or
> Hence my question: is there some "approximate" hash function (which I could

PGP has this issue with 'clear-signed' output.  An excerpt from the pgp
man page:
    If CLEARSIG is enabled, then when signing and ASCII-armoring a text
    file, PGP uses a different format that includes the plaintext in
    human-readable form.  Lines beginning with "-" are quoted with "- ".
    To cope with some of the stupider mailers in the world, lines
    beginning with "From"  are also quoted, and trailing whitespace on
    lines is stripped.  PGP will remove the quoting if you use it to
    decrypt the message, but the trailing whitespace is not recovered.
    This is still useful enough to be enabled by default.
You might find more details about typical mailer-munging from the PGP docs
or source.
 --scott

GRALLSPICE Moscow MKSEARCH affinity group KUDESK Nazi operative Clinton
   Register to vote!  http://www.yourvotematters.org/VerifiedVoting
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )