Are new passports [an] identity-theft risk?

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at MorganStanley.com
Mon Oct 25 09:45:31 EDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 03:23:21PM -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:

> 5 years?  I don't think we have that long.
>
> The technology will mature *very* rapidly if Virginia makes their
> driver's licenses RFID-enabled, or if the US goes ahead with the
> passports.  Why?  Because there will be a stunning amount of money to
> be stolen by not identity thieves, but real thieves.  Imagine sitting
> with a laptop, a good antenna, and some software outside a metro
> station in Virginia.  Or an upscale restaurant in Adams-Morgan,
> reading off the addresses of those who will be away from home for the
> next 3 hours.

Is the problem discriminating the RFID response, or supplying power so
it can respond at all?

How much power does the reader need to emit to activate the RFID? What
sort of equipment is needed to deliver the power directionally?

--

 /"\ ASCII RIBBON                  NOTICE: If received in error,
 \ / CAMPAIGN     Victor Duchovni  please destroy and notify