Tor 0.0.9pre1 is out (fwd from arma at mit.edu)

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Oct 1 09:50:06 EDT 2004

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:46:39 +0200
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
Subject: Tor 0.0.9pre1 is out (fwd from arma at mit.edu)
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net

From: Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>
Subject: Tor 0.0.9pre1 is out
To: or-dev at freehaven.net
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 03:19:44 -0400

We've fixed quite a few bugs. We've also added compression for
directories, and client-side directory caching on disk so you'll have
a directory when Tor restarts.

tarball:   http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.9pre1.tar.gz
signature: http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/tor-0.0.9pre1.tar.gz.asc
(use -dPr tor-0_0_9pre1 if you want to check out from cvs)

Changes from 0.0.8:
  o Bugfixes:
    - Stop using separate defaults for no-config-file and
      empty-config-file. Now you have to explicitly turn off SocksPort,
      if you don't want it open.
    - Fix a bug in OutboundBindAddress so it (hopefully) works.
    - Improve man page to mention more of the 0.0.8 features.
    - Fix a rare seg fault for people running hidden services on
      intermittent connections.
    - Change our file IO stuff (especially wrt OpenSSL) so win32 is
      happier.
    - Fix more dns related bugs: send back resolve_failed and end cells
      more reliably when the resolve fails, rather than closing the
      circuit and then trying to send the cell. Also attach dummy resolve
      connections to a circuit *before* calling dns_resolve(), to fix
      a bug where cached answers would never be sent in RESOLVED cells.
    - When we run out of disk space, or other log writing error, don't
      crash. Just stop logging to that log and continue.
    - We were starting to daemonize before we opened our logs, so if
      there were any problems opening logs, we would complain to stderr,
      which wouldn't work, and then mysteriously exit.
    - Fix a rare bug where sometimes a verified OR would connect to us
      before he'd uploaded his descriptor, which would cause us to
      assign conn->nickname as though he's unverified. Now we look through
      the fingerprint list to see if he's there.
    - Fix a rare assert trigger, where routerinfos for entries in
      our cpath would expire while we're building the path.

  o Features:
    - Clients can ask dirservers for /dir.z to get a compressed version
      of the directory. Only works for servers running 0.0.9, of course.
    - Make clients cache directories and use them to seed their router
      lists at startup. This means clients have a datadir again.
    - Configuration infrastructure support for warning on obsolete
      options.
    - Respond to content-encoding headers by trying to uncompress as
      appropriate.
    - Reply with a deflated directory when a client asks for "dir.z".
      We could use allow-encodings instead, but allow-encodings isn't
      specified in HTTP 1.0.
    - Raise the max dns workers from 50 to 100.
    - Discourage people from setting their dirfetchpostperiod more often
      than once per minute
    - Protect dirservers from overzealous descriptor uploading -- wait
      10 seconds after directory gets dirty, before regenerating.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA