MyKad too hi-tech to forge

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Nov 26 19:45:25 EST 2004

<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/11/27/nation/9513530&sec=nation>

The Star Online > News
Saturday November 27, 2004

MyKad too hi-tech to forge

BY JANE RITIKOS

KUALA LUMPUR: The National Registration Department has detected about 10
cases of forged MyKad issued to illegal immigrants in the country since it
was introduced in 2001.

 However, the chips in the cards were not forged ones.

 Its director-general Datuk Wan Ibrahim Wan Ahmad said those caught with
the fake cards were Indonesians and Bangladeshis, who claimed they had paid
about RM200 for the card.

 The fake cards looked like genuine ones except that the forgers could not
duplicate the smart chip imbedded in MyKad.

 "The physical appearance of the card looks real but the chip, a vital
component of the card, is functionless and cannot be used for transactions.

 "This is because the features of the MyKad chip are so high-tech that they
cannot be duplicated. Even if they could make a forged chip it has no data
that is linked to our database," he said.

 Wan Ibrahim also said the chip in the fake MyKad was not readable.

 "We don't believe the chip can ever be forged. The information in our chip
has data and biometric features," he said.

 The MyKad chip stores information of the cardholders including their
identity cards, driving licences, passports and health data.

 Wan Ibrahim said there were also those caught with fake MyKad which had
their laminated sheet tampered with to alter the physical details and
picture.

 "When these cards are read, the identity of the bearer is that of someone
else. These included those who were checked at the Immigration checkpoints
at the airport. At a glance the cards looked real," he added.

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA