When A Pencil And Paper Makes Sense

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Sun Nov 7 13:51:39 EST 2004

Here are some things that can --and do-- go wrong with the scanned ballots:

- blank votes (where the voter could have made a mark but did not) can
be "voted" at will after the ballot is cast by the voter, and no one can
detect the fraud.

- by looking at the vote pattern, a "voter contract" to vote for a certain
candidate can be verified by a third-person (not necessarily a poll official,
could be a party observer) and the voter can be rewarded or punished (if the
pattern does not show up).

- in a two-candidate race, voters circle a candidate and write "not this one".
Should it not count, even though voter intent is clear?

- voters pause the pencil on an option, and decide not to mark it; notheless,
the optical reader reads it as a vote. Was the voter intent respected?

- the cost of just storing these paper ballots, also after the election runs,
is several millions of dollars for San Francisco for example.

- the cost of printing and the special paper, makes this sytem have a high
recurring cost, election after election, in addition to the mounting storage
cost for past elections.

The solution to secure voting is not the current generation of "trust me"
electronic voting machines either, with or without an added paper ballot that
the voter can verify. The solution begins, as I see it, to recognize the hard
information theory problem behind what seems to be a simple process. This
analysis, and solution, is outlined in
http://www.vote.caltech.edu/wote01/pdfs/gerck-witness.pdf

Cheers,
Ed Gerck