The future of security

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri May 28 15:07:26 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 09:46:03AM -0700, bear wrote:

> Spam won't stop until spam costs the spammers money.

If I'm a node in a web of trust (FOAF is a human), prestige will
percolate through it completely. That way I can color a whole domain with a
nonboolean trust hue, while a domain of fakers will have only very few
connections (through compromises, or human mistakes), which will rapidly sealed,
once actually used to do something to lower their prestige ("I signed the key
of a spammer, please kill me now").

Of course, tracking prestige globally, robustly in a p2p fashion is
difficult, and will require agoric load levelling elements (to prevent bad
nodes from DoSing the global store) which also requires prestige tracking.