The future of security

Steven M. Bellovin smb at research.att.com
Wed May 26 17:33:36 EDT 2004

In message <40B512F0.4090405 at algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie writes:
>Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> In message <010501c44325$a6d62700$4900a8c0 at okiok.com>, "Anton Stiglic" write
>s:

We're saying something different.  If I understood your paper
correctly, it says, more or less, that setting the cost high enough to
reduce spam will make the cost too high for legitimate users.  My point
is that even if you do raise the cost high enough, they'll become more
aggressive at "0wning" machine so that they can throw more (stolen)
cylces or (stolen) zorkmids at the problem.  The economic question,
then, is what is the cost of compromising enough new machines.  Given
the code base and the user behavior that we see in the field, my answer
is "pretty low".  The consequence, in your metric, would be an increase
in C, which would further inconvenience legitimate users, thus creating
a feedback loop.