recommendations/evaluations of free / low-cost crypto libraries

Daniel Carosone dan at geek.com.au
Fri Jun 18 20:13:34 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:17:40AM +0200, Amir Herzberg wrote:
> I will appreciate experience-reports/evaluations/comparisons with free
> or low cost (and in particular  zero `per seat` cost) crypto libraries,
> especially in C / C++ (or links to web-sites containing them).

Taking "especially" to mean you may be interested in others as well,
in the Java world it's impossible to go past the Legion of the Bouncy
Castle (www.bouncycastle.org).

Of course, unless you need to get at low-level stuff or do any other
non "consumer" crypto, in Java you generally use the abstract JCE and
JSSE api's and don't really care (in the programming sense) which
provider is plugged in underneath.

As well as the typical JCE stuff (ciphers and X.509), BC also includes
OpenPGP and S/MIME.

--
Dan.