Security clampdown on the home PC banknote forgers

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 8 23:58:31 EDT 2004

> Of course, there is such a thing as money that really and truly
> *can't* be counterfeited.  Elements such as gold, or other rare
> commodities, for example, cannot be faked; something either is gold,
> or it isn't.  Also, useful objects and consumables in general cannot
> be faked; something either is useful, or it isn't.

Of course gold can be counterfeited - ask Archimedes. Or look up iron
disulfide (FeS2, known also as iron pyrite or fool's gold) - it'll
require pretty close inspection to be distinguished from actual gold.
And this close inspection will also suffice to distinguish actual money
from counterfeited money, so I don't think there's much sense to what
you're saying, unless I'm misunderstanding it.

Personally, with the rise of biometrics, I'd put my money (pun intended)
on two-tier-authenticated - something you are and something you know -
payment systems taking over for regular money in most day-to-day
transactions.

Cheers,
Ivan.