3. Proof-of-work analysis

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 16:50:36 EDT 2004

Adam Back wrote:
> Here's a forward of parts of an email I sent to Richard with comments on
> his and Ben's paper (sent me a pre-print off-list a couple of weeks ago):
>
> One obvious comment is that the calculations do not take account of
> the CAMRAM approach of charging for introductions only.  You mention
> this in the final para of conclusions as another possible.

We wanted to assess whether pure proof-of-work helps. CAMRAM and other
approaches may well change the calculations, but they also introduce
lots of complications.

It seems we now have hard figures to support the notion that
proof-of-work cannot be a complete solution in itself. We will be making
that clearer in a revision of the paper (and fixing some errors).

Cheers,

Ben.